Yesterday was a whirlwind of amazing ancient temples. I got up at 4:30 to see sunrise. There was a darling Tuk Tuk waiting to take me to the temples. It was amazing to see the people waking up and starting their days in the early hours - stoking the family fire, opening up their shops, and feeding their children. Angkor Wat was beautiful, but unfortunately it was cloudy, so the photos aren't as spectacular as id hoped. I then headed over to Ta Prahm - the jungle temple where they filmed tombraider. WOW. It was breathtaking. The amount of detail on every surface is incredible! The best part was having the place to myself - I had over an hour to explore and only saw 3 other people. It really felt like I was an explored discovering this place. This temple has been left largely untouched and there are massive trees growing OUT of the temple. Very cool.
When the hordes arrived I headed back to my chariot and returned to the hotel for breakfast. Unfortunately the rest of my crew couldn't get on the morning flight, so I was a bit flummoxed as to what to do with my morning. I opted for a nap - 4:30am was a bit early after all that travel. I woke up feeling refreshed and headed to the pool for lunch and to wait for Kelly, Vanessa and Bret. It worked out perfectly - they arrived just as the pack of German tourists in the pool started getting rowdy!
It was great to finally see my travel companions and we quickly mobilized to get in more temple visiting! Now we were armed with a guide, so we went back to Angkor Wat and went inside. That place is massive!! I can't remember the stat, but I think it's the biggest temple on the continent! we also heard a crazy story about the legend of Rama and his wife. It was a soap opera!! I'd I get ambitious I'll try and type it out later.
Next we headed to the bayon - temple of smiling faces! I wish I'd snapped a pic with my phone so I could share it now, but suffice to say it was the happiest temple ever. :)
Finally we enjoyed sunset with chicken skewers and a bottle of wine at the Terrace of Elephants. It is not known for it's view, but the place was virtually empty and perfect for a quite rest.
A quick trip back to the hotel to rinse off - holy buckets of sweat! - and then we headed in to town via Tuk Tuk for dinner at Sweet Palm for some authentic Cambodian food. I had Fish Amok, which was rich and delicious!
Then it was early to bed for all - we were all tired, and the other three were getting up at 4:30am to do the same sunrise tour I did.
Its almost time to leave for the airport, so next stop Vietnam!!
- Posted on the go...
No comments:
Post a Comment